Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Rainy Day Booze

Happy Wednesday! 

Was feeling like I needed to forget about some questionable decisions made, and what is a better route than booze? Alcohol is always there for me, is perfect in almost any situation and it can't say no to me (I realize that sounds creepy, but just go with it).  I was trying to take a creative route, so rather than just drinking straight liquor, I experimented with infusions! I still want to try some fruity infusions, but for the time being, I've got black tea infused vodka (booze-y arnold palmers?) and jalapeño infused tequila (mango-jalapeño margaritas?).  I did small batches because I would most likely cry if one was deemed undrinkable and I had used an entire handle of booze in the making.

So, the jalapeño one had:
  • A little less than a quart of silver tequila (I used Milagro)
  • About 8 jalapeños- cut into rounds and most of the seeds removed
Very important word of advice on making the jalapeño tequila: WEAR GLOVES! Holy crap, I made this yesterday (and am typing it up today... almost 24 hours later...) and I'm still dying.  Just breathing all of it in made my nose and mouth burn, touched my lips once and they were on fire for hours, I couldn't take my contacts out, and every time I scratched my face at the bar last night, it left bright red marks (not as good of a creepy guy deterrent as I had hoped).  At the gym this morning, my hands were stinging while lifting weights. I feel like a mess. With any luck, my 2nd shower and 100th hand washing since yesterday will finally do the trick.  

Shout out to El Gato in Burlington, Vt: I applaud your ability to fill a 5 gallon jug with diced jalapeños for your infusion. You are brave brave people.

As for the less dangerous of the two infusions, I used:
  • A little less than a quart of vodka (I used Absolut)
  • 2 teabags of black tea (mine had pomegranate too)
  • 2 bags of chinese black tea (a gift from some of my dad's coworkers, woohoo!)

Since I'm a first-timer with making infusions, I've been following the "shake every time you open the fridge" rule.  Due to my addiction to seltzer and love of refrigerated foods, I've been shaking them a lottt during the day.  Thinking I'll drink them at some point this weekend.  I'll make sure to give an update on whether or not they're delicious (which most likely, they will be, I'm feeling pretty confident).






Look at them! Getting cozy with some iced coffee and some... more iced coffee! I realize that the tea vodka looks like its full of worms or mulch or something, but I swear it smells tasty and very tea-like.

In other news, the job chaos begins today.  Between skating, morning training at the gym, working at a restaurant, and picking up a night at a bar, my social life might be on the back burner for a little while.  But more money means I can afford more fun! And food for the blog! And hopefully some travel too.  Updates on the way.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment