Saturday, September 6, 2014

Bienvenidos a…. ¡Madrid!

Whelp, I finally made it to Spain. Despite sleepless travel, dry airplane food, long waits in airports, and a clammy bus ride, I survived.  I'd be lying if I said its all been sunshine and rainbows since I arrived, but, I MADE IT.  Sure its been 95+ degrees outside, I've been jet lagged, and my hotel shares a terrace with a construction zone, but, I GOD DAMN MADE IT.  I'm trying my very hardest to be patient.  I know that the Madrid I fell in love with 11 months ago is around here somewhere, its just hiding behind sleep deprivation, dehydration, and a pile of concrete blocks.

Plaza Mayor at dusk.

In the past 72 hours, I've met about 60 new people (about 6 of whom I've remember the names of…), sat through several hours of presentations regarding becoming a Madrileña, had lunch at the Atlético de Madrid Futbol Stadium, and realized the perils of trying to get anything done during siesta. I've seen someone's life get turned upside down (in the form of a pick pocketing), seen a bus fill up like a clown car, and watched someone dance such a breathtaking flamenco that they were in visible emotional pain.

 I'm just now realizing that this city is going to give me a run for my money. I've spent years living within my comfort zone, where I'm familiar. Madrid is big. REALLY big. And immensely beautiful. I might not fall in love with it today, or tomorrow, or on that day I'm bound to lose my key or get lost, but one of these days, I'm going to realize that this city is what I've needed all along. I can already see that I will grow into myself here.

So, cheers to an adventure that will be life changing in ways that I can't yet imagine. I'm psyched to see where I am one year from now. Adios!

No comments:

Post a Comment